The official app for viewing favorite blogs from your phone
Tumblr is a quirky and fun social blogging and sharing community that lets you post, find, and connect with others that love the same things you do!
Tumblr allows you to create an unlimited amount of “tumblogs”, or blogs, around any subject you can imagine. It offers all the standard features of uploading text, video, pictures, and even music – but it’s the community that really sets it apart.
Follow people from your address book, send direct messages and live chats, as well as receive notifications when people you follow post updates, gain new followers, or receive new comments on your own tumblogs.
While Tumblr offers a lot of fun and functionality for most, there have been reported issues that should be considered of before installing; scrolling through content can be slow, the application has been known to stop suddenly, and it can be a bit heavy handed on local storage, as well.
Aside from some minor issues, the Tumblr app offers a full and rich experience along with a few perks over its browser app.
- Create GIFs on the Fly! One of the best features of the app is the ability to create GIFs from videos and pictures.
- Get Started in a Few Clicks Click a few topics that you’re interested in and have a custom experience in seconds.
- Share and Discover New Favorites Memes, comics, videos, thoughtful discussions, and more can be found through the app.
- Video Playback Issues Many users have reported issues with video playback in the app (i.e. being unable to stop playback once it starts).
- Storage-Hungry This app is notorious for being storage-hungry; media (video, pictures, music) is downloaded locally so it’s important to clear your cache as often as possible
Happy new year, Tumblr.
Potentially dangerous permissions
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.